Following on from an earlier blog post
The US-EPA, politicians, presstitutes and activists pretending to be journalists regularly conflate different types of tailpipe emissions. They wouldn’t do it if they were trying to inform the public. Instead they only try to persuade it.
Steve Milloy addressed the fanatic tailpipe sniffers in this article on Breitbart.
MIT researchers are claiming that Volkswagen’s diesel emissions shenanigans have killed 60 unidentified Americans. They further claim that unless VW fixes the emissions problem by the end of 2016, another 130 unidentified people will bite the dust. This is all nonsense.
The study is based on U.S. Environmental Protection Agency [EPA] claims that airborne particulate matter (e.g., soot from smokestacks and tailpipes) and ground-level ozone (i.e., smog) kill people. The EPA’s claims are entirely fraudulent. EPA knows it. Congress knows it. Industry knows it. I know it because I’ve taken the time to investigate and even to litigate them.
EPA’s epidemiology studies are highly controversial. All rely on exceedingly weak statistical correlations between dubious air monitoring data and death rates. …
EPA’s animal toxicology studies are unhelpful to EPA, since no animal has ever died during them despite animals being exposed to PM at levels hundreds of times greater than humans would ever inhale. …
EPA has conducted human clinical studies of PM for the express purpose of attempting to validate its epidemiology. … EPA has exposed these people to levels of PM up to 21 times greater than the maximum EPA allows in outdoor air and 75 times greater than measured in typical outdoor air. But no human test subject has ever died or even experienced a health effect traceable to PM.
In the real world, underground miners and diesel equipment operators can be exposed to PM at levels a thousand times higher than in outdoor air on a career basis. … they actually have a greater life expectancy than the average person breathing blue-sky clean air.
In Washington, D.C., life expectancy is about 76.5 years. But in Beijing, where PM levels are on average 10 times higher, life expectancy is three years greater.
There are no ozone-related deaths either. The epidemiology is inadequate. No animals, including the human guinea pigs, have died. There is not a recorded case of ambient ozone killing anyone under any circumstances.
As the claimed deaths from VW diesel emissions are entirely based on EPA’s bogus PM and ozone claims, the VW-related death claims are bogus as well. … they are all statistical deaths — i.e., deaths that only occur in the minds and studies of dishonest researchers.
The UK’s Which? (consumer) magazine has an article titled Car emissions: is nobody clean?.
In light of the recent emissions scandal, we extracted and analysed detailed emissions data for over 300 cars that we’ve tested since 2012, in order to find out what cars are really emitting into our atmosphere.
Despite all of the vehicles officially complying with recent EU emission regulations (either Euro 5 or the tougher Euro 6 depending on the age of car) our realistic testing found there is a chasm like gap between what is claimed and what is pumped into our air:
• Staggeringly, nearly all (95%) the diesel cars emitted more oxides of nitrogen (NOx) during our tests than official limits allow. …;
• One in 10 (10%) petrol cars also emitted more NOx than limits allow;
• Two-thirds (65%) of petrol cars emit more Carbon Monoxide than the 2006 limit (Euro 4)…;
• Despite being a hybrid, the Peugeot 508 RXH also creates more NOx than EU limits. Several petrol hybrids (the worst being the Lexus LS) also create more CO than limits would allow;
• 38 of the cars we tested were even unable to meet the ‘Euro 1’ emissions standards from 1993.
Keep in mind that their test cycle is not directly comparable to the emissions test cycle so there’s no automatic disqualification for failing to comply with the relevant standards. I’ve highlighted a significant observation: that compliance with new standards doesn’t guarantee compliance with old ones; where greater emissions were allowed under a different test cycle.
We’ve found that of the cars we’ve tested, all of which are officially compliant with either Euro 5 or Euro 6, 85 exceed Euro 3 limits in our tests. This means these 85 cars do not pass the earliest emission regulations from this century.
Yes: Some don’t comply with the previous standards, emitting more actually toxic substances than was previously allowed. Those offenders include some hybrid vehicles. Sit back and think about that.
It is entirely possible that the practical emissions of vehicles haven’t been reduced substantially at all since the mid 1990′s; when Euro 3 was being drafted. The objective has been CO2-reduction. e.g. from the EU legislation for Euro 3:
Statement by the European Parliament and the Council
Re Article 5a (new)
The European Parliament and the Council take note of the ongoing discussions between the Commission and the European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) regarding a voluntary undertaking by the industry to reduce the average CO2 emissions from passenger vehicles. … with the aim of reducing average passenger car fuel consumption to 120 g of CO2/km.
And that isn’t working out either; heavier vehicles necessitated by technologies to comply with new regulations; and lots of optional extras (not included in test cycle vehicles) offered effectively as standard; as only the “pov-pack” level of cars with minimal equipment, skinny tyres, etc. are tested for compliance.
P.S. My 25-year old personal car met Euro 2 requirements when it was made.
Other previous blog posts:
- Was haben Diesel und Atomkraftwerke gemeinsam?
- Umweltzonen 2012 – Dicke Luft auch ohne “Stinker”
- German Motoring Club Against Reason
- Volkswagen could help put the doubt back in doubters
- VW Needs The Mann, Jones & Muller Scandal Action Team To Implement The “Mike’s Nature Trick” Defense Strategy
- ‘Urgent clarification’: Australia demands answers from VW as scandal grows
- Daimler ruft 11.000 Mercedes Sprinter in die Werkstatt
- Volkswagen Abgasmanipulation: Ein Eisberg-Skandal von titanischen Ausmaßen
- Dirty secrets
- Take a deep breath and say it, Brussels: the US is right about pollution
- How many deaths did Volkswagen’s pollution scandal cause?
- Volkswagen’s appalling clean diesel scandal, explained
- Der vorläufige Stand der Dinge in Sachen Diesel-Stickoxide und Volkswagen
- The not-so-invisible damage from VW diesel cheat: $100 million in health costs
- How Volkswagen got caught cheating emissions tests by a clean air NGO
- Hybrids and the cost of virtue signalling
- Die Welt will betrogen sein
- Die Dimensionen der VW-Krise sind schwindelerregend
- Erste VW-Ingenieure gestehen Manipulationen
- Das sind die größten Diesel-Stinker im ADAC-Eco-Test
- Die grüne Hysterie
- Müller: “Ende 2016 sollen alle Autos in Ordnung sein”
- Wusste die Regierung seit Jahren von “Dieselgate”?
- Familie Quandt verliert durch VW-Skandal 4,5 Milliarden Euro
- VW Diesel Scandal Exposes Conflicting Regulatory Mandates
- Razzia wegen Abgasaffäre bei VW in Wolfsburg
- “Abgas-Rückführung mehrere Stunden nicht aktiv”: Vorwürfe gegen Ford und Peugeot
- Abgas-Skandal nicht nur bei VW
- Australian customers join class action against Volkswagen over emissions scandal
- More than 91,000 cars in Australia affected by VW diesel emissions scandal
- VW: a panto of green politics
- ADAC EcoTest informiert über die Stickoxidemissionen von Dieselmodellen
- How Many Deaths Does Reading @Voxdotcom Cause?
- Die rätselhafte Kursexplosion der VW-Aktie
- Tales of the insignificant
- How Many Deaths Did Volkswagen’s Deception Cause in the U.S.?
- EU überrumpelt Autofirmen mit radikalen Vorschriften
- An den Bändern in Wolfsburg herrscht nackte Angst
- KBA ordnet Rückruf für 2,4 Mio. Autos an – Krisensitzung
- Laws of physics hold not only for Volkswagen
- Dieselgate: Změřili jsme „emisní“ VW Passat 2.0 TDI EA 189 v běžném provozu. Definitivní konec amerického humbuku!
- “Das Krisenmanagement ist katastrophal”
- VW models missing in local recall rollcall
- What you need to know about the VW scandal
- Aussie car buyers shun VW
- Volkswagen suspends staff as Porsche boss takes over
- Who Is Greener?
- VW emissions testing scandal shows that environmental governance is in trouble
- Volkswagen Inquiry’s Focus to Include Managers Who Turned a Blind Eye
- Die pure Verzweiflung trieb Volkswagen an
- Das Liars
- VW Class Action
- Why I’d still buy a Volkswagen
- Unbowed, VW Doubles Down on U.S.
- Volkswagen says 800,000 cars may have false CO2 levels
- VW’s six-cylinder diesel engines now implicated in company’s cheating scandal
- VW admits to ‘irregularities’ in CO2 emissions of 800,000 cars in wake of emissions scandal
- Warum hat es VW nötig zu tricksen – und die anderen nicht?
- VW meldet “Unregelmäßigkeiten” bei weiteren 800.000 Autos
- Staatliche Schuldemissionen
- Abgasgate und Merkelgate: Einsichten aus dem Parallel-Universum
- Merkel: VW kann Krise durch Transparenz überwinden
- Not exhausted yet: the VW scandal
- Some policies to fight climate change have done more harm than good
- Nie mehr rumschreien
- Geständnis brachte Abgasaffäre ins Rollen
- Programmers: Stop Calling Yourselves Engineers
- Nie waren Volkswagen so sauber wie heute!
- Greenpeace will höhere Dieselsteuer
- Gescheiterte VW-Prüfer übernehmen die neuen Tests
- TÜV erhebt schwere Vorwürfe gegen Bundesregierung
- Jetzt auch technisches Versagen – VW total überfordert
- The fix for the diesel emissions issue has been engineered
- Deutschland leidet unter gefährlicher Öko-Hysterie
- So viel Dummheit von VW ist unentschuldbar
- Volkwagen drohen bis zu 90 Milliarden Dollar Strafe
- How Stupid Is Air Pollution ‘Science’?
- Volkswagen Australian sales up last year, despite diesel scandal
- Grüne wollen Autos mit Verbrennungsmotor ab 2036 verbieten
- Happy new year, VW: Uncle Sam sues over engine cheatware
- United States Files Complaint Against Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche for Alleged Clean Air Act Violations
- SCOOP! Volkswagen Group of America Bugs Out
- Not good enough, VW: California nixes toxic mix fix in strict interdict
- Air Resources Board rejects VW 2-liter diesel recall plan and issues Notice of Violation
- Why should Volkswagen be investigated for emission deception, but not government agencies?
- Der absurde Kampf um die Krümmung des Rückspiegels
- DiCaprio hält VW-Skandal für „riesige Geschichte“
- Deutschland: Aus für Diesel- und Benzinmotoren ab 2050
- Diesel As Dangerous As Asbestos, But Europe Looks The Other Way
- EPA’s illegal human experiments could break Nuremberg Code
- Bei Volkswagen sind mehr als 10.000 Jobs in Gefahr
- EU fordert von VW Entschädigung europäischer Kunden
- Car emissions: is nobody clean?
- The Emissionary Position: screwing the motorist the European way
- The Doom of the VW Diesel Scandal Has Begun to Encroach as Far as My Own Garage
… and much, much more.